DENVER, Colo. – Parker Ford scored for the Friars but No. 4 Denver used three power-play goals to down the No. 11/9 Providence College men’s hockey team, 4-1, on Friday night (Oct. 21) at Magness Arena.
No. 11/9 Providence (3-1-0, 1-0-0 HEA) | No. 4 Denver (3-2-0, 0-0-0 NCHC)
No. 11/9 Providence – 1 | No. 4 Denver – 4
Magness Arena – Denver, Colo.
Philip Svedebäck (PC) – 24 saves, 4 goals against
Magnus Chrona (DU) – 25 saves, 1 goal against
– The Friars boasted a strong opening period at even strength and held a 14-12 edge in shots through the opening 20 minutes.
– Parker Ford aimed to give the Friars an early lead as he walked in alone down the slot but his backhand bid was kicked away by the right pad of Chrona.
– Denver broke through at 9:25 on the power play as Rieger Lorenz re-directed a centering pass from Jack Devine.
– The Pioneers extended the lead to 2-0 at 7:14 of the second period with another power-play goal, this time from Carter King.
– After Cam McDonald was assessed a five-minute major for hitting from behind, Massimo Rizzo tallied Denver’s third power-play strike of the night to make it 3-0.
– Ford cashed in on a rebound from Brett Berard to put the Friars on the board during a late power play in the second period.
– Casey Dornbach extended the Pioneers’ lead to 4-1 at the 9:01 mark of the third period.
– Providence falls to 0-4-2 all-time at Magness Arena.
Providence – 1/4
Denver – 3/5
Providence – 26
Denver – 28
The Friars and Pioneers will conclude their two-game series on Saturday night (Oct. 22) beginning at 8 p.m. ET.