Sports News 247

Butler’s buzzer-beater stuns FAU, sends San Diego State to final



HOUSTON — Countless times throughout his youth, San Diego State guard Lamont Butler counted down the imaginary clock in his head. “Three, two, one….”, he’d say on his home court before firing off an imaginary game-winner.

Childhood imagination met adult reality on Saturday night, a collision of fate, opportunity and thousands of practice shots to meet the moment. Now a San Diego State junior, Butler took a pass with seven seconds left, drove the length of the floor and hit a 17-foot pull-up jump shot that will long live in NCAA lore.

Butler’s shot swished pure through the rim, the buzzer sounding with the ball descending from its arc down toward destiny. It delivered No. 5-seed San Diego State a 72-71 win over No. 9 FAU, completing a 14-point second-half comeback and giving the Aztecs their first lead of the second half. San Diego State will play in the school’s first-ever national title game on Monday night.

“I always dreamed of this moment,” Butler said. “I’m just happy it was able to come to fruition.”

When the ball splashed through, Butler strode confidently toward mid-court and his teammates leapt upon him in joy. On the FAU bench, the players and coaches stood in stunned silence, victims of the first pure buzzer beater of this NCAA tournament.

Butler said that his favorite NCAA tournament buzzer beater is the 3-pointer that Villanova’s Kris Jenkins hit to beat North Carolina to clinch the NCAA tournament title back in 2016. Butler’s came on the same end of the same court at NRG Stadium here in Houston.

“Forever,” said SDSU guard Darrion Trammell. “I think that’s going to be one of the shots that we’re going to see forever. They’re going to play for previews for March Madness next year and the year after that. I think that was just legendary.”

Butler’s forever moment didn’t come without drama, as San Diego State trailed by one when FAU’s Johnell Davis didn’t even draw rim on a driving lay-up attempt with about nine seconds left. That shot was made difficult by a strong contest by SDSU’s 6-foot-11 post menace Nathan Mensah.

After the carom, Mensah grabbed the rebound and quickly cleared the outlet ahead to Butler, who glanced at the clock and saw seven seconds. From about 70 feet, Butler began his drive to immortality. It wasn’t linear.

It took six dribbles for Butler to get to the opposite baseline, where he appeared trapped. He took a hesitation dribble for his seventh bounce, and then crossed back through his legs from right to left to begin a retreat on his eight dribble. FAU’s Nick Boyd played strong defense to cut him off and forced him into what appeared, for a moment anyway, like he’d dribbled into an abyss and would have difficulty getting off a shot.

On the FAU bench, there was optimism that Boyd had led a defensive stand that would send the Owls to the national title game. Butler took off with the intention of bulling his way to the basket for a lay-up, but Boyd forced him to improvise.

“We felt like (Butler) lost the ball,” FAU assistant Todd Abernethy said. “My first naked eye thought was he wasn’t gonna get it off in time.”

Instead Butler’s dribble through his legs marked a shift in direction. He then dribbled once more to his left to complete the transition from baseline to wing and left the ground with 1.1 seconds left. That last move ended up mimicking a one-dribble pull-up shot he’d done countless times in workouts.

“From the cut-off, it was a one-dribble pull-up,” Butler said. “I went left one-dribble, kind of sold it like I was going to drive and just pulled up.”

Boyd sailed past Butler, seemingly buying what he was selling, and then flailed up his left hand behind him for an awkward contest.

“It felt good,” he said, “as soon as it left my hand.”

Butler knows the feeling. He didn’t return home to Moreno Valley, Calif., this summer in order to work on his game. He said last season he didn’t attempt many mid-range shots, so that became a focus of his off-season regiment. In the gym every day, he focused on making 10 or 15 shots in a row from that range to improve his consistency.

In the stands, his father, Lamont Sr., wore a baby blue SDSU jersey and the halogen glow of pride in his son. He said that about 20 friends and family members traveled to Houston – “it wasn’t cheap” – and were rewarded by seeing all those gym hours pay off.

“All the work Lamont put in, and this is what you live for,” Butler Sr. said. “To be able to hit a game-winning shot to take you team to a championship. We couldn’t have scripted it any better. He just trusted the work.”

And that trust proved the crescendo of a consummate team win, as SDSU dug deep to climb back in the game after trailing by 14 in the game’s final 15 minutes. The Aztecs are a marauding team predicated on toughness and depth, and they showed their mettle with a string of seven offensive rebounds in a span of nearly two minutes in the second half that ground the game down to their preferred pace.

“They went on a run, getting extra possessions,” Martin said, “and that was really the turning point of the game.”

That set up a tense and choppy ending, as FAU led by three points with 45 seconds left after a Martin lay-up gave them a 71-68 lead. A quick answer on a jumper by SDSU’s Jaedon LeDee cut the lead to one, and then Mensah’s defensive work gave SDSU the final possession with a chance to win.

SDSU coach Brian Dutcher elected not to call time out, and Butler barreled down the court toward history. His shot has San Diego State, which is making its first-ever Final Four appearance, one win from the national title. It’s the second consecutive game won in the final seconds, as Trammell hit a free throw with 1.2 seconds left to beat Creighton to clinch the spot in the Final Four.

“I don’t think anything will sink in until it’s over with,” Butler said. “I’m just so happy that we’re in this position and we have a chance to win the national championship.”


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.